Mar 22, 2010

Melanie Niethammer of side-glance


Today's featured blogger is Melanie of side-glance (blog has been deleted in the meantime :( )

Read her interview and blog to find out what makes studying computer engineering even harder than just the maths, and which cartoon could illustrate every single one of her posts.


Melanie loves feedback, so if you have any questions, just shoot them into the comments section.



What's your name, how old are you, and what do you do for a living (or all day, for that matter)?

My name is Melanie, I'm 23 and I study computer engineering.

How long have you been blogging? How did you get around to blogging?

I've been blogging since 2001, in the beginning mostly about private matters. side-glance is my first public project.

What's your blog called and why?

My blog is called side-glance. That doesn't really mean anything, though, I just wanted an original name and ended up with this one.

What are you blogging about? Why?

I blog about women in computer engineering, in IT in general, female PC users and stuff like that. At first I just needed a place to vent about how people treated me when I was still working as a system administrator. I realized then that I wasn't alone in my situation and that most of the issues I had to deal with were of a general kind. I believe that the small number of women concerning themselves with technical matters is an issue indeed, and I've been very interested in other people's contributions on this topic. For personal reasons I myself have been less active recently, however, I have plenty of ideas and interesting links, and am just waiting for the opportunity to get it all out there.

Who's your target audience?

I don't have a particular target audience, I'm trying to reach everyone who could be interested in my topics. I think so far the blog has been especially popular with women who can personally relate to my situation, though.

Who designed your blog? How much was that? In case you designed your own layout: Where did you learn how to?

I just use Wordpress. I installed a Wordpress template and played around with it a little. I was bored a lot at that time, so I taught myself how to do it. My webspace costs a couple of Euros a month.

Which software and which host do you use? Can you recommend them?

I wouldn't want to advertise it here, but Wordpress is okay for what I do.

What role play photos, MP3-files or video clips on your blog? If you use them, would you mind showing us one (please attach to this reply)?

At the moment, these things don't play a big role for me. I do put some files up from time to time, though. What I could add to every single post, is the following image - it just illustrates the problem so well: http://xkcd.com/385/ .

How many readers do you have? How many would you like to have? Does their number matter to you at all?

The numbers go up and down and I don't check them a lot. Whenever somebody links to my blog I get a large number of visits at once. Many people also use feed readers and read what I write regularly. I don't care about numbers as much as I care about feedback. Feedback makes me very happy.

Can you learn how to blog? Do you need to know a lot about computers? Do you have any advice for beginners?

Frankly, I've never even thought about that. I just write, without specific goals or intentions. I don't think you have to know much about computers to blog, either, but I do realize I've been moving around in a more technical environment than most people. My advice would be to just do it, try something new, dare to accidentally delete stuff and make mistakes. :)

Do you use twitter, too? Why (not)? What pros and cons do you see when it comes to twitter?

Recently, I've been using twitter more as a reader than a writer. I see a huge advantage in how fast information can get to so many people so quickly. Especially when it comes to (Internet-related) political issues, this comes in very handy. Also, I meet and get in touch with people through twitter.

The obvious disadvantage of twitter is that it is not a platform for discussions. And if it weren't for the jokesters who try to use it as such, that wouldn't even be a problem.

Which other female bloggers can you recommend? Why?

You'll find them all on my blog roll. :)


* Und hier das Originalinterview auf Deutsch *
Wie heißt Du, wie alt bist Du, was machst Du beruflich (oder sonst den ganzen Tag)?
Ich heiße Melanie, bin 23 und studiere Technische Informatik.

Seit wann bloggst Du? Wie bist Du darauf gekommen?
Eigentlich blogge ich schon seit 2001, jedoch anfangs weniger öffentlich und mehr über Privates. side-glance ist mein erstes "Projekt" in dieser Form.

Wie heißt Dein Blog und warum?
side-glance. Das ist überhaupt nicht interessant, denn einen Grund gibt es eigentlich nicht. Ich wollte einen Begriff der möglichst selten ist und das hat sich irgendwie so ergeben.

Worüber bloggst Du? Weshalb?
Ich blogge über Frauen in der Informatik, im IT-Bereich, Frauen und Computerkram und alles was mir so dazu einfällt. Anfangs wollte ich nur einen Ort an dem ich meinen ganzen Frust darüber ablassen kann, wie mir Menschen in meinem Beruf (war vor dem Studium als Systemadministratorin tätig) begegnen. Habe dann sehr schnell gemerkt, dass ich mit diesen Problemen gar nicht so allein bin und dass sich einige Situationen sogar ganz allgemein formulieren lassen. Ich beobachte daher auch gerne andere die sich diesen Fragen annehmen (warum gibt es so wenig Frauen.. was kann man tun.. usw.) und bin weiterhin - oder immer mehr - der Meinung, dass das Thema ein sehr wichtiges ist. Leider habe ich mich in letzter Zeit (aus persönlichen Gründen) stark zurückgezogen. Gedanken, Ideen und interessante Links sind vorhanden, jetzt fehlt nur noch die Zeit zur Umsetzung.

Wer ist Deine Zielgruppe?
[Ich] habe eigentlich keine spezielle Zielgruppe. Alle Menschen die das interessieren könnte, wobei mein Blog bisher am besten bei Frauen ankam, die sich mit der Thematik irgendwie verbunden fühlen.

Wer hat Deinen Blog designt? Was hat das gekostet? Falls Du das Layout selbst erstellt hast: Wo hast Du gelernt, wie das geht?
Ich habe einfach Wordpress und ein Wordpress Template installiert und daran ein bisschen herumgespielt. Mein Webspace kostet mich ein paar Euro im Monat. Ich hatte mal ziemlich viel Langeweile und darum hab ich mir selbst beigebracht wie sowas geht.

Welche Software und welchen Host benutzt Du? Kannst Du die weiterempfehlen?
Mag hier eigentlich keine Werbung machen, aber Wordpress ist schon okay für meine Zwecke.

Welche Rolle spielen Fotos, MP3-Dateien und Videoclips auf Deinem Blog? Kannst Du uns ein Bild, das Du gepostet hast und gerne magst, zeigen?
Momentan spielen solche Dinge keine große Rolle. Ich habe zwar ab und an was eingebunden, es hält sich aber stark in Grenzen. Was ich eigentlich an jeden meiner Einträge heften könnte, weil es so unheimlich passend ist: http://xkcd.com/385/ .

Wieviele Leser hast Du? Wieviele hättest Du gerne? Ist das überhaupt wichtig für Dich?
Das schwankt sehr stark und ich verfolge das gar nicht so doll. Wenn ich verlinkt werde, dann habe ich ganz viele LeserInnen auf einmal. Viele benutzen aber auch Feedreader und lesen regelmäßig mit. Mir ist das nicht so furchtbar wichtig, wobei ich mich sehr über Feedback freue.

Kann man bloggen lernen? Muss man viel über Computer wissen? Hast Du ein paar gute Tipps? 
Darüber habe ich mir ehrlich gesagt noch keine Gedanken gemacht. Ich schreibe einfach drauf los, oft ohne irgendwelche Ziele oder Ansprüche. Aus meiner Sicht muss man nicht sehr viel über Computer wissen, jedoch ist mir auch bewusst, dass ich mich in einem anderen Umfeld bewege als Menschen die noch nie mit sowas in Berührung kamen. Mein Tipp wäre eigentlich: einfach machen, ausprobieren, auch mal was kaputt machen und Fehler machen. :)

Benutzt Du auch twitter? Warum (nicht)? Worin siehst Du die Vor- und Nachteile von twitter?
In letzter Zeit benutzt ich Twitter eher lesend, als aktiv schreibend. Ich sehe einen riesen Vorteil darin, dass Informationen innerhalb kürzester Zeit ein breites Publikum erreichen können. Besonders bei (netz-)politischen Themen ist das recht nützlich. Außerdem lassen sich darüber tatsächlich Kontakte knüpfen. Einen klaren Nachteil sehe ich darin, dass es unmöglich ist, Twitter als Diskussionsplattform zu benutzen, was nicht weiter schlimm wäre, wären da nicht die Spaßvögel die es trotzdem versuchen.

Welche(n) anderen frauengeführten Blogs kannst Du empfehlen? Warum?
Die kann man eigentlich am Besten meiner Blogroll entnehmen. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment