Apr 6, 2010

Kathrin aka Kommander Kaufmann


Meet Kathrin, an Austrian-born journalist who shares favourite net finds and personal thoughts on her blog Kommander Kaufmann. It shows very well that pop culture and political subjects aren't mutually exclusive, but that they make for an interesting mix instead.

Read Kathrin's interview below to find out why passion is key to great blogging, how her blog's name came about, and which other three female-run blogs she recommends.




What's your name, how old are you, and what do you do for a living (or all day, for that matter)?

My name is Kathrin, I'm 27 and I work for a magazine as an editorial journalist in arts, life and style.

How long have you been blogging? How did you get around to blogging?

I've only just started in August 2009. I wanted a space to write about things dear to my heart - without having to think whether they match the magazine topic-wise and are still relevant at the time of its publication.

What's your blog called and why?

My blog is called "Kommander Kaufmann", after a nickname I was given by my favorite colleague. In terms of the blog, the name works as a metaphor: It's a starship I navigate through the vastness of pop culture, and everybody's very welcome to join me.

What are you blogging about? Why?

I blog about music, concerts, books, TV series, interesting thoughts, especially moments and societal edges - pretty much anything, as long it touches me. I blog because I like to share.

Who's your target audience?

Culturally interested, critical people.

Who designed your blog? How much was that? In case you designed your own layout: Where did you learn how to?

I use a free Wordpress-theme called Tarski, and because it is soooooo easy to change Wordpress themes, I have to pull myself together in order not to change the look of the blog every couple of weeks.

Which software and which host do you use? Can you recommend them?

Wordpress.com: Very recommendable because of its straightforwardness.

What role play photos, MP3-files or video clips on your blog? If you use them, would you mind showing us one (please attach to this reply)?

I do post video clips and photos regularly. My favorite ones are my own, like the one I took at a party in the "Gängeviertel" (see picture to the left). I should upload more of those.

How many readers do you have? How many would you like to have? Does their number matter to you at all?

At present I have below one hundred a day. I'm not aiming at any particular number, and as long as the upward trend continues I'm not going to worry. It's just really nice to know that certain people check in frequently, and comments on my posts make me happy.

Can you learn how to blog? Do you need to know a lot about computers? Do you have any advice for beginners?

You don't have to know anything about computers, I think what you really need is a great deal of passion - for your topics and writing itself, because otherwise you won't stick with posting regularly.

Do you use twitter, too? Why (not)? What pros and cons do you see when it comes to twitter?

Yeah, I do, although I'm not a big tweeter myself. But I do make an effort to read the tweets of the people I follow. What I like about twitter is how it puts you in touch with interesting people quickly, and also that it supplies you with countless great links.

Which other female bloggers can you recommend? Why?

I've picked three:

Style: "Anders anziehen" ["Dress Different"]: http://anders-anziehen.blogspot.com "zeigt Menschen ihrer individuellen Art sich zu kleiden" ["shows people and their different way to dress"] - with an incredible sense for making everyone look beautiful, unique and likeable in the photos.

Everyday-life: http://mevme.com/lizblog: Awesome pictures, nice words, just great, but I guess I'm not telling you news here.

Random finds and stories from Hamburg: Blue Bubble: http://bluebubble.org So far the only blogger I know that has been blogging about Sankt Pauli [(in)famous part of the city].


* Und hier das Originalinterview auf Deutsch *
Wie heißt Du, wie alt bist Du, was machst Du beruflich (oder sonst den ganzen Tag)?
Ich heiße Kathrin, bin 27 und arbeite als Kultur- und Gesellschaftsredakteurin für ein Magazin.

Seit wann bloggst Du? Wie bist Du darauf gekommen?

Erst seit August 2009. Angefangen habe ich, weil ich einen Ort haben wollte, wo ich über Sachen schreiben kann, die mir am Herz liegen - ohne wie im Job erst nachdenken zu müssen, ob sie ins Heft passen und zum Veröffentlichungszeitpunkt noch relevant sind.


Wie heißt Dein Blog und warum?
Mein Blog heißt Kommander Kaufmann, nach einem Spitznamen, den ich von meinem Lieblingskollegen verpasst bekommen habe. Für den Blog funktioniert der Name als Metapher: Er ist wie ein Raumschiff, mit dem ich durch die Weiten der Popkultur steuere, und alle sind herzlich eingeladen, mitzureisen.

Worüber bloggst Du? Weshalb?
Über Musik, Konzerte, Bücher, Serien, interessante Gedanken, besondere Momente und gesellschaftliche Kanten - also über fast alles, solange es mich bewegt. Und ich blogge, weil ich das teilen will.

Wer ist Deine Zielgruppe?
Kulturinteressierte, kritische Menschen.

Wer hat Deinen Blog designt? Was hat das gekostet? Falls Du das Layout selbst erstellt hast: Wo hast Du gelernt, wie das geht?
Ich benutze ein kostenloses Wordpress-Theme namens Tarski, und es ist sooo einfach, die Themes zu wechseln, dass ich mich immer zusammenreißen muss, nicht alle paar Wochen mal das Aussehen des Blogs zu verändern.

Welche Software und welchen Host benutzt Du? Kannst Du die weiterempfehlen?
Wordpress.com: Der Einfachheit halber sehr zu empfehlen.

Welche Rolle spielen Fotos, MP3-Dateien und Videoclips auf Deinem Blog? Kannst Du uns ein Bild, das Du gepostet hast und gerne magst, zeigen (falls ja, bitte als Attachment anhängen)?
Videoclips poste ich regelmäßig, genauso Fotos. Am liebsten mag ich die selbstgeschossenen Bilder (könnten aber noch weit mehr sein), wie das von einer Party im Gängeviertel.

Wieviele Leser hast Du? Wieviele hättest Du gerne? Ist das überhaupt wichtig für Dich?
Noch unter hundert am Tag. Ich habe keine Zahl, die ich unbedingt erreichen will, und solange der Aufwärtstrend anhält, denke ich da nicht so viel drüber nach. Es ist einfach schön zu wissen, dass einige Leute regelmäßig vorbeikommen und ich freue mich natürlich riesig über Kommentare.

Kann man bloggen lernen? Muss man viel über Computer wissen? Hast Du ein paar gute Tipps? 
Über Computer muss man nichts wissen und ich glaube, das einzige was man wirklich braucht, ist Leidenschaft - für die Themen und fürs Schreiben per se, weil sonst schafft man es nicht, regelmäßig zu posten.

Benutzt Du auch twitter? Warum (nicht)? Worin siehst Du die Vor- und Nachteile von twitter?
Ja, ich twittere selbst zwar sparsam, lese aber fast alles von den Leuten, denen ich folge. Was ich an Twitter mag, ist dass man sehr schnell und einfach mit interessanten Menschen ins Gespräch kommt und am laufenden Band gute Links geliefert bekommt.

Welche(n) anderen frauengeführten Blogs kannst Du empfehlen? Warum?
Drei herausgepickt:

Style: Anders anziehen: http://anders-anziehen.blogspot.com "zeigt Menschen ihrer individuellen Art sich zu kleiden" - mit unglaublichem Gespür dafür, jeden so abzulichten, dass er wunderschön, einzigartig und symphatisch rüberkommt.

Alltag: http://mevme.com/lizblog: Schöne Bilder, schöne Worte, einfach toll, aber da erzähl ich ja nichts Neues.

Fundstücke und Hamburganekdoten: Blue Bubble: http://bluebubble.org Bisher die einzige, die ich kenne, die über Sankt Pauli schreibt.

No comments:

Post a Comment