Nov 18, 2010

Cathrin Karras

Having lived in South East Asia for a year myself, I took special interest in historian Cathrin Karras' blog. With a focus on Vietnam, she covers anything from politics and popular culture to traditional blood soup dishes.

Follow the jump below for one of my favorite interviews so far, and to get to know yet another female blogger who has had to put up with death threats because of her views...




What's your name, how old are you, and what do you do for a living (or all day, for that matter)?

My name is Cathrin Karras, I am 23 years old and have been a student of history at the Vietnam National University in Hanoi. I received my undergraduate degree last year, and am currently participating in a two year Master's programme.

How long have you been blogging? How did you get around to blogging?

I have been blogging since April 2007. I never planned on taking up blogging, though. I used to be active in various Vietnam-themed forums. There were always heated discussions there, mostly on Vietnamese politics and history. As some admins wouldn't allow for long posts, I set up a blog platform I would link back to - and by that circumvent censorship. Ultimately the positive reactions I got, along with growing readership numbers, motivated me to keep blogging.

What's your blog called and why?

The name of my blog is made up of my first name and then the first two letters of my last. Unfortunately, I couldn't think of a more creative name back then, and now I can't change it anymore, as that's not possible on my platform.

What are you blogging about? Why?

I mainly blog about my adopted home country Vietnam. Not necessarily about my everyday life, though. I do touch upon personal issues every once in a while, too, but my core interest lies in  introducing this dynamic country, including all its problems and contradictions. For example, I discuss touristy, historical or cultural issues and current politics. Also Vietnamese music.

A second stress is on trips I undertake to other countries in the region. During each semester break, I'll go travelling, sometimes with my friend Phuong, sometimes by myself. We like to leave famous tourist routes and go exploring. On my blog are travel accounts of Cambodia, Laos, Singapore, China and North Korea. Plus all visits to my godchild Sopheak who lives in Cambodia. Recently I published an extensive report on my fourth trip to China. That took me to Tibet in August.

Who's your target audience?

I target German-speaking readers who are interested in Vietnam and South East Asia.

Who designed your blog? How much was that? In case you designed your own layout: Where did you learn how to?

On the platform I blog, creating a blog design is really easy. There are plenty of templates to choose from and to adapt to your needs. I kept my layout really simple on purpose. Personally, I find a blog's content much more important than its design.

Which software and which host do you use? Can you recommend them?

My blog is hosted with www.blog.de. I am very happy with that. But of course I lack comparison.

What role play photos, MP3-files or video clips on your blog? If you use them, would you mind showing us one?

There are more than 6.000 photos on my blog. I'm making an effort to not just show famous sights, but also ordinary life. I also use YouTube videos, mostly when I am discussing the Vietnam War or in order to introduce Vietnamese music. I rarely post own MP3s.

How many readers do you have? How many would you like to have? Does their number matter to you at all?

On average I get around 400 to 500 visits a day. When I started, I would have never thought that I would get such a response on my blog about a country almost irrelevant to world politics. Naturally, I am delighted about every new reader, but I am also very happy with my current numbers.

Can you learn how to blog? Do you need to know a lot about computers? Do you have any advice for beginners?

You don't need any special knowledge. Over time, however, I learned how to improve the layout of my posts. That was a learning process for sure.

Have you made negative experiences with blogging, too? What kind?

When you decide to make parts of your life public and also voice your opinion on political issues, you will make negative experiences. I have been insulted and defamed for years now in a German-speaking forum where a couple of emigrated Vietnamese participate. They disike my point of view. A sad low point was a very explicit death threat.

Only after my step dad in Berlin hired an attorney, who managed to get a prohibition order, were some of the threads containing the worst attacks deleted. These people are a huge motivation for me to  continue my blog, though.

And have you ever made money through your blog? If yes, how so?

No. And I don't intend to.

Do you use twitter, too? Why (not)? What pros and cons do you see when it comes to twitter?

I have never used Twitter before. In Vietnam, Facebook is very popular.

Which other female bloggers can you recommend? Why?

Spontaneously, my youngest blogging friend comes to mind. Annika is only 12 years old. She has been trying different things out and is very creative. I like to visit her blog every now and then: http://www.blog.de/user/annimania/


* Und hier das Originalinterview auf Deutsch *
Wie heißt Du, wie alt bist Du, was machst Du beruflich (oder sonst den ganzen Tag)?
Ich heisse Cathrin Karras, bin 23Jahre alt und studiere seit 2005 an der Nationaluniversitaet in Hanoi Geschichte. Im vorigen Jahr habe ich mein Diplom gemacht. Zur Zeit befinde ich mich mitten in einem zweijaehrigen Masterstudiengang.

Seit wann bloggst Du? Wie bist Du darauf gekommen?
Ich blogge seit April 2007. Urspruenglich war das aber gar nicht so geplant. Ich bin schon laenger in diversen Foren, die sich mit Vietnam beschaeftigen, aktiv. Dort gibt es immer wieder sehr kontroverse Diskussionen, vor allem ueber Politik und Geschichte. Da sich einige Forenbetreiber sehr schwer damit tun, laengere Zitate zuzulassen, wollte ich die Blogplattform eigentlich nur dazu nutzen, um bestimmte Sachen fuer diese Foren zu verlinken und damit der Zensur aus dem Wege zu gehen. Die vielen positiven Reaktionen und staendig steigende Besucherzahlen motivierten dann aber, regelmaessig zu bloggen.

Wie heißt Dein Blog und warum?
Der Name meines Blogs setzt sich aus meinem Vornamen und den ersten beiden Buchstaben meines Familiennamens zusammen. Etwas kreativeres ist mir damals leider nicht eingefallen und auf meiner Blogplattform ist es nicht moeglich, den Namen spaeter zu aendern.

Worüber bloggst Du? Weshalb?
Im Vordergrund steht meine Wahlheimat Vietnam. Dabei geht es nicht in erster Linie um meinen ganz persoenlichen Alltag. Der kommt zwar im Blog regelmaessig vor, aber ich moechte meinen Lesern vor allem das ganz normale Leben der Menschen in diesem aufstrebenden Land mit all seinen Problemen und Widerspruechen naeher bringen. Dabei beschaeftige ich mich auch oft mit touristischen, historischen und kulturellen Themen sowie mit der aktuellen Politik. Auch die vietnamesische Musik kommt nicht zu kurz.

Ein zweiter Schwerpunkt sind Berichte ueber meine Reisen in andere Laender der Region. Jedes Jahr in den Semesterferien gehe ich auf grosse Tour, oft mit meiner Freundin Phuong, manchmal auch allein. Dabei sind wir auch oft abseits der ueblichen Touristenrouten unterwegs. In meinem Blog gibt es Reiseberichte aus Kambodscha, Laos, Singapur, China und Nordkorea. Dazu kommen dann noch die Besuche bei meinem Patenkind Sopheak in Kambodscha. Ganz aktuell bin ich gerade dabei, einen ausfuehrlichen Bericht ueber meine vierte Chinareise, die mich im August diesen Jahres nach Tibet fuehrte, zu veroeffentlichen.


Wer ist Deine Zielgruppe?
Ich wende mich vor allem an deutschsprachige Leser, die sich fuer Vietnam und Suedostasien interessieren.

Wer hat Deinen Blog designt? Was hat das gekostet? Falls Du das Layout selbst erstellt hast: Wo hast Du gelernt, wie das geht?
Auf meiner Blogplattform ist es sehr einfach, ein Design zu erstellen. Es gibt eine Menge Vorlagen, die man veraendern und anpassen kann. Ich habe mein Layout mit Absicht sehr schlicht gehalten. Meiner Meinung nach kommt es viel mehr auf den Inhalt der Blogeintraege an.

Welche Software und welchen Host benutzt Du? Kannst Du die weiterempfehlen?
Mein Blog befindet sich bei www.blog.de. Ich bin damit sehr zufrieden. Vergleichmoeglichkeiten zu anderen Plattformen fehlen mir aber natuerlich.

Welche Rolle spielen Fotos, MP3-Dateien und Videoclips auf Deinem Blog? Kannst Du uns ein Bild, das Du gepostet hast und gerne magst, zeigen?
In meinem Blog gibt es weit ueber 6.000 Fotos zu sehen. Dabei bemuehe ich mich, nicht nur die touristischen Sehenswuerdigkeiten zu zeigen, sondern auch den ganz normalen Alltag der Menschen zu dokumentieren. YouTube-Videos nutze ich vor allem bei Themen zum Vietnamkrieg und bei der Vorstellung vietnamesischer Musik, eigene MP3-Dateien eher selten.

Wieviele Leser hast Du? Wieviele hättest Du gerne? Ist das überhaupt wichtig für Dich?
Im Durchschnitt habe ich zwischen 400 und 500 Besucher am Tag. Als ich mit dem Bloggen anfing, haette ich nie gedacht, dass ich mit meinem Blog ueber ein Land abseits der grossen Weltpolitik so eine Resonanz erzielen kann. Natuerlich freue ich mich ueber jeden neuen Leser, doch mit den derzeitigen Zahlen bin ich sehr zufrieden.

Kann man bloggen lernen? Muss man viel über Computer wissen? Hast Du ein paar gute Tipps?
Besondere Computerkenntnisse braucht man nicht. Im Laufe der Zeit habe ich aber die optische Gestaltung meiner Blogeintraege immer weiter verbessert. Das ist sicher in gewisser Lernprozess gewesen.

Hast Du mit dem Bloggen auch schon negative Erfahrungen gemacht? Welcher Art?
einem deutschsprachigen Vietnam-Forum, wo einige wenige jetzt in Europa lebende Auslandsvietnamesen schreiben, denen meine politische Einstellung nicht passt, werde ich seit Jahren beleidigt, beschimpft und verleumdet. Trauriger Hoehepunkt war eine sehr eindeutige Mordrohung.

Erst nachdem mein Stiefvater ein Berlin mit Hilfe eines Anwalts eine einstweilige Verfuegung erwirkte, wurden die Threads mit den schlimmsten Beleidigungen geloescht. Aber solche Leute motivieren mich ungemein, mit meinem Blog weiterzumachen.


Und hast Du mit Deinem Blog auch schon Geld verdient? Wenn ja, wie?
Nein. Das habe ich auch nicht vor.

Benutzt Du auch twitter? Warum (nicht)? Worin siehst Du die Vor- und Nachteile von twitter?
Ich habe twitter noch nie benutzt. In Vietnam ist eher Facebook sehr verbreitet.

Welche(n) anderen frauengeführten Blogs kannst Du empfehlen? Warum?
Da faellt mir ganz spontan meine juengste Blogfreundin ein. Annika ist erst 12 Jahre alt. Sie probiert sich in vielen Sachen aus und ist dabei sehr kreativ. Ich schaue sehr gerne immer mal wieder in ihr Blog: http://www.blog.de/user/annimania/

No comments:

Post a Comment