Nov 23, 2010

Starrene Rhett of Gangstarr Girl

Listen up, everyone! I am absolutely stoked to introduce to you today multimedia journalist Starrene Rhett of Gangstarr Girl, a clever blog on women in hip-hop and pop-culture.
Follow the jump below to watch original video content produced by Starrene, to learn how to not only blog, but exist online instead, and... so much more! What a cool interview!




What's your name, how old are you, and what do you do for a living (or all day, for that matter)?

My name is Starrene Rhett and I'm a 28-year-old freelance multimedia journalist. I write for VIBE.com, VIBE Magazine, XXL Magazine, Bet.com and Juicy Magazine. Hopefully Marie Claire and an international magazine will come next and as someone who has worked in television, I'm working toward getting back into that world, too.

How long have you been blogging? How did you get around to blogging?

I started blogging in 2004 on a site called Xanga. I just stumbled upon it one day.

What's your blog called and why?

My blog is called "GangStarr Girl" for a few reasons. One of my nicknames is "Starr" and growing up I'd get teased with things like "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star," or Madonna's "Lucky Star" - just silly things like that. So I made my own game of figuring out ways I could use my name in a word like Starrburst, Starrbie Doll, etc. When I first created my blog, I mainly mused about hip-hop, so I figured that GangStarr is an iconic group in hip-hop, my name is in the word - plus saying that you're "gangsta" can be flipped into a positive. My version of being "gangsta," or "gangstarr," if you will, is being someone who is bold enough to be different, someone who behaves as the change they wish to see in the world.


What are you blogging about? Why?

I pretty much blog about whatever I feel like but the main themes are women in hip-hop and pop-culture. I also pepper in some wellness stuff here and there and some food stuff. These are things that I am interested in and that I feel I have a unique perspective on, so that's why I choose to go there as opposed to trying to be an expert on something I know nothing about.

Who's your target audience?

My target audience is women who enjoy being girly girls but are also quirky and edgy. They're smart, iconoclastic, worldly, witty and have had enough of the run-of-the-mill bullshit pushed by typical women's websites and blogs. Typical women's websites and blogs always incorporate stupid tips on finding Mr. Right or how to lose 5 lbs in 5 days so that you can snag a man, or stuff about how to figure out what men are thinking (written by women who have no clue), or silly fantasies about living like the fictional women on Sex an the City, and the overuse of the word "fabulous" (no offense to women who enjoy sites like that but there's just too many and not every woman is entertained by those things). For the record, I actually do enjoy Sex and the City but I also recognize how over the top the show is. It's meant to be that way because it's fiction. I just think it's ridiculous that women in real life really try to be those characters.

Who designed your blog? How much was that? In case you designed your own layout: Where did you learn how to?

My friend designed it. I paid about $300 bucks, which is no where near the standard price (most designers start at about $1,000). I know basic html stuff but I never would have been able to pull off what said friend did. One day I'll be able to design my own blog, though. I definitely plan to take some design classes.

Which software and which host do you use? Can you recommend them?

I use WordPress. I highly recommend WordPress because it has great tools for publishers (note to readers: email me at gangstarrgirl@gmail.com if you'd like me to elaborate). I've used Ning, Blogger and Drupal and none of them have struck my fancy the same way WordPress has - once I figured out how to use it, that is, lol.

What role play photos, MP3-files or video clips on your blog? If you use them, would you mind showing us one?

They all play a very important role on my blog. I try to post a photo with every post since people are visual. I post a lot of music and I'm definitely always posting videos. One of my favorite things to do is to post a video of some talentless fool singing, dancing or whatever. I am highly amused by zany activity and all things awesomely bad (sometimes, I'll even watch a bad movie on purpose just because I get a kick out of how awful it is). I also produce original video news content. Sometimes I'm behind the camera and sometimes I'm in front, but I like to tell people's stories. Here are two examples:

On camera in New York City:


Off camera. Atlas explains the absence of women in hip-hop:

How many readers do you have? How many would you like to have? Does their number matter to you at all?

The last time I checked, which was probably about two months ago, I had about 10,000 a month. That's not the exact number but it's in that ball park. I stopped checking because I felt like I was getting too consumed by how many people visited my site. I know that my blog is offbeat and that I don't cover a lot of the same stuff that most people do. As a result, I think some of my stuff goes over people's heads. I noticed that most of my original posts that were well thought out and creative don't get comments at all while the stupid or scandalous stuff that I post (which is few and far in between) gets a lot of remarks. That actually used to make me angry but I realized that I originally started the blog for me. It would be nice to have other people appreciate and enjoy my work, I still want that, but I promised myself recently that I would stop obsessing over numbers. I can't make people see my vision but I do know that blogging makes me happy because it's therapeutic. It's the one place where I can post about what I like and not have to worry about being edited or someone not liking my idea.

Can you learn how to blog? Do you need to know a lot about computers? Do you have any advice for beginners?

You can learn how to blog. Actually, you can learn how to exist online period. People's online personas can reveal a lot about who they are, which can hurt or benefit them. My words of advice would be, figure out your niche - talk about something you are knowledgable in and/or really passionate about. Don't fall into the trap that a lot of bloggers get caught up in, which is posting the same stuff over and over. It's annoying. You also don't want to try to be like anyone else. Not everyone can be a gossip king/queen or a relationship expert but everyone can be themselves. Just do what feels right to you and you will be fine. As far as knowledge of computers, you don't have to know a lot. If you can log on to the internet and send an email, then you can blog. All blogging software is annoying when you're first trying to learn and navigate, but it gets easier. Trial and error is the best way to learn. The more you err, the better the lessons and progress will be. Just do it (not to sound like the Nike ad or anything, lol).

Have you made negative experiences with blogging, too? What kind?

Nope, and I'd like to keep it that way. But I have witnessed other people experience negative things.

And have you ever made money through your blog? If yes, how so?

My blog is part of an ad network and every now and then I'll get a check. It's not much but it's money lol. However, my blog has helped me get some freelance writing gigs so I've made money indirectly.

Do you use twitter, too? Why (not)? What pros and cons do you see when it comes to twitter?

I use Twitter because it's an interesting marketing tool but also a cool place to meet like minded individuals and to get questions answered quickly (I do a lot of fast research on there). I like it for those reasons, however, my main pet peeve with Twitter is that people try to make themselves look like someone they are not. It's also not always a good thing to know everyone's most random thoughts.

Which other female bloggers can you recommend? Why?

I like Brittany of ClumpsofMascara.com because she blogs about make up from a real perspective, meaning, she's down to Earth and seems like she could be your friend. We finally met in person some time last summer and she's just a really humble person. She's definitely the person, in real life, that she claims to be on her blog. Plus, I like that she's into raw food and green makeup. She features great products. You can find her @ClumpsofMascara on Twitter.

I also recently discovered a blog called Mop Top Maven (moptopmaven.blogspot.com). I don't know her nor have we ever spoken but her blog is vibrant and inspirational. She talks about fashion, food and beauty. She even posts do-it-yourself jewelry projects and recipes.

I like Parlour Magazine (parlourmagazine.com) because they're smart. They talk a lot about politics and pop culture but they're worldly. They're US based but have contributors from all over the world. I think their blog is important because as someone who has traveled, I see the benefits in traveling and learning about new cultures but I'm also saddened that people everywhere have such misconceptions of each other. When I travel or talk to people from abroad they're always surprised that I'm worldly. The general assumption is that Americans don't travel and that we are very closed minded but here I am, this African-American woman who speaks spanish (not very well, but enough, lol) and has a passion for the world. So with Parlour, I like their perspective.

I also like livingflyonadime.com because the owner is very stylish but none of her clothes, even the designer threads, are uber expensive. She teachers readers how to score cool thrift shop and vintage gear while looking like you paid thousands of dollars. It's a great resource. Lastly, I like thefembassy.com because she provides a space for female rappers to showcase their talents without patriarchal judgment.


* Und hier eine gekürzte Version des Interviews auf Deutsch *
Wie heißt Du, wie alt bist Du, was machst Du beruflich (oder sonst den ganzen Tag)?
Ich bin Starrene Rhett, 28 Jahre alt und freie Multimedia-Journalistin. Ich schreibe unter anderem für das Hip-Hop Magazin VIBE und VIBE.com. Bald kommen hoffentlich die Marie Claire und ein anderes internationales Magazin dazu. Als jemand, der mal beim Fernsehen gearbeitet hat, möchte ich mittelfristig außerdem auch wieder dorthin zurück.

Seit wann bloggst Du? Wie bist Du darauf gekommen?
Ich habe 2004 damit begonnen, einfach so.

Wie heißt Dein Blog und warum?
Mein Blog heißt "GangStarr Girl". Einer meiner Spitznamen ist "Starr", also habe einen Namen gesucht, in den ich Starr einbauen kann. GangStarr ist eine Hip-Hop Kultduo, da ich am Anfang vor allem über Hip-Hop schrieb, passte das. Außerdem kann "gangsta" auch ein positives Attribut sein. Für mich bedeutet "gangsta" zu sein eine Frau zu sein, die sich traut, anders zu sein. Jemand, der die Veränderung, die sie in der Welt sehen möchte, selbst umzusetzen.

Worüber bloggst Du? Weshalb?
Über alles, worüber ich bloggen möchte, aber vor allem über Frauen im Hip-Hop und in der Popkultur. Manchmal Wellness und Food. Am liebsten blogge ich über Dinge, für die ich mich interessiere und mit denen ich mich auskenne.

Wer ist Deine Zielgruppe?
Meine Zielgruppe sind Frauen, die gerne weiblich sind, aber dabei auch mal anecken. Die clever, ikonoklastisch, weltgewandt sind und genug von dem Scheiß haben, der ihnen von den üblichen Medien für Frauen vorgesetzt wird. Immer diese dummen Geschichten darüber, was Männer wollen (geschrieben von Frauen, die keine Ahnung davon haben), oder die Anleitung zu einem Leben wie das der fiktionalen Figuren aus Sex and the City. Ich mag Sex and the City, aber die Show ist doch total jenseits. Das soll sie natürlich auch sein, aber es ist doch absolut verrückt, dass Frauen im echten Leben versuchen zu sein, wie die Protagonistinnen.

Wer hat Deinen Blog designt? Was hat das gekostet? Falls Du das Layout selbst erstellt hast: Wo hast Du gelernt, wie das geht?
Ich habe einen Freundschaftspreis von 300$ bezahlt, das ist viel billiger als üblich. Ein bisschen HTML kann ich zwar auch, aber meinen eigenen Blog hätte ich nicht so hinbekommen. Für die Zukunft habe mir fest vorgenommen, ein paar Webdesign Kurse zu besuchen.

Welche Software und welchen Host benutzt Du? Kannst Du die weiterempfehlen?
WordPress, das ich sehr empfehlen kann. Früher auch Ning, Blogger und Drupal, die mochte ich aber nicht so gern.

Welche Rolle spielen Fotos, MP3-Dateien und Videoclips auf Deinem Blog? Kannst Du uns ein Bild, das Du gepostet hast und gerne magst, zeigen?
Die spielen alle eine große Rolle. Leute funktionieren visuell. Am liebsten poste ich Videos von untalentierten singenden Menschen. Mich amüsieren ulkige Beschäftigungen, auch richtig schlechtes Zeug. Manchmal schaue ich schlechte Filme, nur weil ich cool finde, WIE schlecht sie sind). Ich produziere aber auch meine eigenen Videoinhalte [siehe oben].

Wieviele Leser hast Du? Wieviele hättest Du gerne? Ist das überhaupt wichtig für Dich?
An die 10.000 im Monat. Ich überprüfe die Zahlen nicht mehr, weil ich irgendwann das Gefühl bekam, dass sie zu wichtig werden. Mein Blog ist anders als die anderen, manchmal gehen meine Inhalte an den Menschen vorbei. Irgendwann habe ich bemerkt, dass meine gut durchdachten, originellen Beiträge keine Kommentare bekommen, dafür all das skandalöse, dumme Zeug, das ich ziemlich selten zwischendurch poste. Darüber war ich ein wenig frustriert, bis ich mir sagte, dass ich für mich blogge, nicht für die anderen. Also habe ich aufgehört, mir über Zahlen den Kopf zu zerbrechen. Bloggen wirkt therapeutisch. Mein Blog ist der eine Ort, an dem ich tun und lassen kann, was ich will, ohne mir den Kopf darüber zerbrechen zu müssen, ob ein Redakteur das mag, was ich da tue.

Kann man bloggen lernen? Muss man viel über Computer wissen? Hast Du ein paar gute Tipps?
Na klar, und nicht nur das: Man kann lernen, online zu existieren. Wie man sich im Netz gibt, sagt viel darüber aus, wie man ist. Das kann helfen oder schaden. Mein Tipp wäre, sich eine Nische zu suchen. Ein Thema, über das man viel weiß und für das man sich begeistern kann. Ja nicht alles nachposten, was andere Blogger auch posten. Originell sein. Nicht jeder kann Königin oder König der Herzen werden, aber man kann man selber sein. Über Rechner muss man dabei nicht viel wissen. Wer Emails versenden kann, kann bloggen. Die ersten Schritte sind nie leicht, egal, welche Software man benutzt, aber es wird einfacher. Probieren geht über studieren, je mehr Fehler man macht, umso mehr lernt man.

Hast Du mit dem Bloggen auch schon negative Erfahrungen gemacht? Welcher Art?
Nein, und das ist auch gut so. Ich kenne aber Leute, die schon negative Erfahrungen gemacht haben.

Und hast Du mit Deinem Blog auch schon Geld verdient? Wenn ja, wie?
Ich bin in einem Werbenetzwerk, darüber kommt hin und wieder etwas Geld. Nicht viel, aber immerhin Geld. ;) Ich habe aber über meinen Blog schon einige freiberufliche Aufträge bekommen, also habe ich indirekt damit verdient.

Benutzt Du auch twitter? Warum (nicht)? Worin siehst Du die Vor- und Nachteile von twitter?
Twitter ist ein interessantes Marketing Tool und ein guter Ort, um Menschen mit ähnlichen Interessen kennenzulernen. Fragen werden auch schnell beantwortet. Was ich daran nicht mag, ist, dass Leute sich anders geben, als sie wirklich sind. Belanglose Informationen sind auch nicht so toll.

Welche(n) anderen frauengeführten Blogs kannst Du empfehlen? Warum?
Ich mag Brittany von ClumpsofMascara.com, sie ist nett zu sein und bloggt über umweltfreundliches Make Up. Ich habe sie kennengelernt und sie ist auf jeden Fall die Person, die sie vorgibt zu sein. Eine sehr bescheidene Rohkostlerin. Auf Twitter ist sie @ClumpsofMascara.

Ausserdem habe ich neulich einen Blog namens Mop Top Maven gefunden (moptopmaven.blogspot.com). Die Urheberin kenne ich zwar nicht, aber ihr Blog ist lebendig und inspirierend. Sie postet auch do-it-yourself Schmuck und Rezepte.

Ich mag auch Parlour Magazine (parlourmagazine.com), weil sie clever sind. Es geht viel um Politik und Popkultur. Sie kommen aus den Vereinigten Staaten, veröffentlichen aber Beiträge aus der ganzen Welt. Ich finde das wichtig, denn die Leute haben überall ganz falsche Vorstellungen von einander. Jedesmal, wenn ich reise, sind die Leute ganz überrascht darüber, dass ich mich für andere Kulturen interessiere. Die generelle Annahme ist, dass Amerikaner nicht reisen und dass wir alles sehr eng sehen, und dann komme ich, die Afroamerikanerin, die Spanisch spricht (nicht besonders gut zwar, aber ausreichend, lol) und sich voller Leidenschaft für die Welt interessiert. Parlour vertritt wie gesagt gute Sichtweisen.

Außerdem gefällt mir livingflyonadime.com, da die Bloggerin sehr stylish ist, ihre Klamotten aber nicht so teuer sind. Sie zeigt ihren Lesern, wie man in Secondhandläden Klamotten findet, die aussehen, als hätten sie tausende von Euros gekostet.

Last, but not least, mag ich thefembassy.com, weil sie Rapperinnen eine Möglichkeit bietet, sich vorzustellen. Ohne patriarchale Beurteilung.

2 comments:

  1. Tolle Statements, eine coole Person!
    Danke! Elke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Starr is a wonderful blogger and journalist offering just what media needs --- DIVERSITY of VOICE. Love her and love Gangstarrgirl!

    ReplyDelete