Jan 3, 2011

Katharina Brunner of Schafott.net


Katharina Brunner's blog Schafott.net oscillates between Bavaria and China, often with a focus on politics.

Follow the jump below to find out why she opted for such a seemingly violent blog name, where she's blogging from at the moment, and why blogging is as easy as updating a Facebook profile



What's your name, how old are you, and what do you do for a living (or all day, for that matter)?

My name is Katharina Brunner, I am 22 years old and study economics in Regensburg. Currently I live in Washington D.C., where I have been taking classes in Economic Policy.

How long have you been blogging? How did you get around to blogging?

I have been blogging since May 2007, so three and a half years already. Earlier, I used to have a homepage with Beepworld (with as many GIFs as possible, weird color combinations and midis) and was dabbling around in HTML. When I heard about blogs, I registered with a couple free services. But then I soon realized that I wanted to be responsible not only for my own content, but also for all things technical. So I got me my own web space and domain.

What's your blog called and why?

My blog is called schafott.net ["Scaffold.net"]. That sounds bloodthirsty at first, but it's not meant like that. I was looking for a short, easy to remember name that was still available as a domain. I happened to find my high school's old school magazine and ended up using its name.

What are you blogging about? Why?

Mostly I write about politics, the media and Internet stuff. Schafott.net is something like my personal note book, there are longer entries and shorter ones like links to read worthy articles elsewhere. From time to time, I turn my attention to China where I used to live for nine months after finishing school. I have been pretty fascinated with it. As mentioned above, I am currently blogging from the US: http://aususa.schafott.net.

Who's your target audience?

I have no target group. Whoever is interested in what I write about is welcome to visit my blog and get involved through commenting. I have been noticing, though, that my friends and family have been reading along more often than they used to.

Who designed your blog? How much was that? In case you designed your own layout: Where did you learn how to?

I have been using a theme called “Elements of SEO” that is available to download for free. I altered it according to my needs: different colours, different arrangements. What I needed to know about HTML and CSS I acquired through learning by doing.

Which software and which host do you use? Can you recommend them?

I use Wordpress, because it is very easy to use and because there are so many plug-ins for it. Through those, I can adjust my blog to feature everything I need. My host is domainFACTORY. So far I never had problems with them, they always answered my questions quickly and competently.

What role play photos, MP3-files or video clips on your blog? If you use them, would you mind showing us one?

Images and videos are quite important to me. I embed YouTube clips and post my own photos. If I have no suitable, I'll go and check for some cc-licensed ones. I rarely use MP3s, though.

How many readers do you have? How many would you like to have? Does their number matter to you at all?

I get around 100 visits a day. Of course I'd like more. However, more important than numbers are emails, comments and other feedback on my posts.

Can you learn how to blog? Do you need to know a lot about computers? Do you have any advice for beginners?

You can't learn how to blog, but you also don't have to. It's best to just start. Technically speaking, blogging isn't any more difficult than updating a Facebook profile.

Have you made negative experiences with blogging, too? What kind?

Nope, no negative experiences so far.

And have you ever made money through your blog? If yes, how so?

No.

Do you use twitter, too? Why (not)? What pros and cons do you see when it comes to twitter?

Yes, my account is @schafott. It took a while for me to sign up with Twitter and learn to appreciate it. I find so many interesting links there. I myself tweet brief thoughts or links whenever I'm not feeling like writing a whole lengthy blog post.

Which other female bloggers can you recommend? Why?

Mädchenmannschaft: In order to stay up to date in terms of feminism. (http://maedchenmannschaft.net/)

Dragstripgirl: Great, ruthless travelogues. Every time I see photos from Asia, I get sentimental. (http://www.dragstripgirl.de/)

Ein Buch muss die Axt sein: Whenever I am looking for new German books, that's my first place to go. (http://einbuchmussdieaxtsein.blogspot.com/)


* Und hier das Originalinterview auf Deutsch *
Wie heißt Du, wie alt bist Du, was machst Du beruflich (oder sonst den ganzen Tag)?
Ich heiße Katharina Brunner, bin 22 Jahre alt und studiere in Regensburg Volkswirtschaft. Im Moment lebe ich in Washington D.C., wo ich ein Semester lang Wirtschaftspolitik studiere.

Seit wann bloggst Du? Wie bist Du darauf gekommen?
Ich blogge seit Mai 2007, also etwas mehr als drei Jahre. Schon viel früher hatte meine eigene Hompage bei Beepworld (mit möglichst vielen gifs, seltsamen Farbkombinationen und midis) und hab mit HTML-Seiten rumgespielt. Irgendwann habe ich von Blogs erfahren und mich bei ein paar kostenlosen Diensten angemeldet. Relativ schnell hab ich aber bemerkt, dass ich auch neben dem Inhalt auch für die technische Seite selbst verantwortlich sein will und habe mir deshalb meinen eigenen Webspace und eine Domain besorgt.

Wie heißt Dein Blog und warum?
Mein Blog heißt schafott.net. Das klingt erstmal sehr blutrünstig, ist aber gar nicht so gemeint. Ich habe einen kurzen, prägnanten Namen gesucht (dessen Domain noch zu haben war) und hab dann zufällig eine alte Schülerzeitung meines Gymnasiums gefunden, deren Namen ich dann übernommen habe.

Worüber bloggst Du? Weshalb?
Ich schreibe hauptsächlich über Politik, Medien und Internetzeugs. Schafott.net ist sowas wie mein öffentliches Notizheft mit längeren Beiträgen, aber auch nur kurzen Verweisen auf lesenswerte Artikel. Ein besonderes Augenmerk liegt auf China, wo ich nach meinem Abitur für neun Monate gelebt habe und mich seitdem sehr fasziniert. Im Moment studiere ich ein Semester in den USA und blogge von da aus: http://aususa.schafott.net.

Wer ist Deine Zielgruppe?
Ich habe keine Zielgruppe für die ich schreibe. Alle, die sich für die Themen auf schafott.net interessieren sind eingeladen mitzulesen und sich in den Kommentaren zu Wort zu melden. Was ich bemerke ist, dass mein Freundes- und Bekanntenkreis mehr und mehr mitliest.

Wer hat Deinen Blog designt? Was hat das gekostet? Falls Du das Layout selbst erstellt hast: Wo hast Du gelernt, wie das geht?
Ich benutzte das Theme “Elements of SEO”, das man kostenlos downloaden kann. Ich habe es nach meinen Wünschen verändert: andere Farben, andere Anordnung. Die nötigen HTML/CSS-Kenntnisse habe ich mir durch Learning-by-doing angeeignet.

Welche Software und welchen Host benutzt Du? Kannst Du die weiterempfehlen?
Ich benutzte Wordpress, weil es einfach zu bedienen ist und es unheimlich viele Plugins gibt, mit denen ich alles nach meinen Wünschen anpassen kann. Mein Hoster ist domainFACTORY. Bisher hatte ich damit keine Probleme und Fragen wurden immer schnell und kompetent beantwortet.

Welche Rolle spielen Fotos, MP3-Dateien und Videoclips auf Deinem Blog? Kannst Du uns ein Bild, das Du gepostet hast und gerne magst, zeigen?
Fotos und Videos nutzte ich relativ oft. Ich binde vor allem Youtube-Videos ein und nutze ich meine eigenen Fotos. Wenn ich kein passendes habe, suche ich nach welchen unter Creative Commons-Lizenz. MP3-Dateien nutze ich sehr selten.

Wieviele Leser hast Du? Wieviele hättest Du gerne? Ist das überhaupt wichtig für Dich?
Ich habe etwas über 100 Leser pro Tag. Natürlich hätte ich gerne mehr. Doch wichtiger als die nackten Zahlen ist direktes Feedback auf meine Beträge durch Kommentare und E-Mails.

Kann man bloggen lernen? Muss man viel über Computer wissen? Hast Du ein paar gute Tipps?
Bloggen kann man nicht lernen, muss man aber auch nicht. Besser ist, einfach loszulegen. In technischer Hinsicht ist Bloggen nicht schwieriger als einen Facebook-Account upzudaten.

Hast Du mit dem Bloggen auch schon negative Erfahrungen gemacht? Welcher Art?
Nein, ich habe bisher noch keine negativen Erfahrungen gemacht.

Und hast Du mit Deinem Blog auch schon Geld verdient? Wenn ja, wie?
No.

Benutzt Du auch twitter? Warum (nicht)? Worin siehst Du die Vor- und Nachteile von twitter?
Ja, ich twittere unter @schafott. Es hat relativ lange gedauert bis ich mich dort angemeldet und zu schätzen gelernt habe. Ich finde viele interessante Links über Twitter. Ich selbst poste kurze Gedanken oder Links, bei denen ich auf einen Blogpost keine Zeit oder Lust habe.

Welche(n) anderen frauengeführten Blogs kannst Du empfehlen? Warum?
Mädchenmannschaft: Um in Sachen Feminismus auf dem neuesten Stand zu bleiben. (http://maedchenmannschaft.net/)

Dragstripgirl: Sehr tolle schonungslose Reiseberichte. Bei Fotos aus Asien werde ich immer ganz sentimental. (http://www.dragstripgirl.de/)

Ein Buch muss die Axt sein: Wenn ich neue Lektüre suche, ist das mittlerweile
meine erste Anlaufstelle. (http://einbuchmussdieaxtsein.blogspot.com/)

No comments:

Post a Comment