Sep 24, 2010

Geninne of Geninne's Art Blog


Today I am super happy to introduce to you one of my personal favourites, Geninne's Art Blog - edited by Geninne, who only recently moved into a beautiful new house in Mexico.

Follow the jump below to find out more about her "happy art", why anyone can learn how to blog, and to have a look at a long list of other blogs by female artists Geninne warmly recommends.




What's your name, how old are you, and what do you do for a living (or all day, for that matter)?

My name is Geninne D. Zlatkis. I am 42 years old and I have the privilege of doing what I absolutely love, raising my two teenage boys while creating art at home with my beloved husband Manolo and our cute border collie dog named Turbo.

How long have you been blogging? How did you get around to blogging?

In 2005 I discovered Illustration Friday, a weekly creative outlet/participatory art exhibit for art illustrators and artist from all over the world. I decided to participate in the weekly art challenge and needed a blog to post my entries so my blog was born.

What's your blog called and why?

It was first called Geninne's Illustration Blog, because I was only sharing my illustrations. After a while the name became too limited because I was posting a lot more than just illustration. So I decided that Geninne's Art Blog was more inclusive.

What are you blogging about? Why?

I blog about my creative life, my inspiration and my art. I do it because it has made me more prolific with my work and motivates me to continue creating.

Who's your target audience?

I really don't target a specific audience, just anyone that enjoys happy art.

Who designed your blog? How much was that? In case you designed your own layout: Where did you learn how to?

I designed my own blog. I began with a simple Minima Template and modified it until I was happy with the overall look. I've learned a little HTML by myself, playing around with the code in my template and through the Internet. There are many simple tutorials out there.

Which software and which host do you use? Can you recommend them?

I use Blogger because it's very easy to use and straightforward. I import my photos using Flickr and I highly recommend both platforms. My Flickr account is http://www.flickr.com/photos/geninne.

What role play photos, MP3-files or video clips on your blog? If you use them, would you mind showing us one?

I am 100% visual so photos and videos are very important in my blog. You can watch a video of me painting:

http://blogdelanine.blogspot.com/2009/08/me-on-video-part-one.html


 

How many readers do you have? How many would you like to have? Does their number matter to you at all?

Around 3.000 people visit my blog every day. I'm very thankful to have such a great base of readers that support my work. I love all of them! :)

Can you learn how to blog? Do you need to know a lot about computers? Do you have any advice for beginners?

I definitely think you can learn anything you want if you set your mind to it. If there's a will, there's a way! You have to know how to move around the web and basic skills. My advice is to not over think it and have no fear... Just do it and play around.

Have you made negative experiences with blogging, too? What kind?

I haven't had any negative experiences thankfully. Blogging has been a blessing.

And have you ever made money through your blog? If yes, how so?

I haven't made money from the blog directly, but it has helped as a promotional tool for my Etsy shop (http://geninne.etsy.com) where I sell prints of my works.

Do you use twitter, too? Why (not)? What pros and cons do you see when it comes to twitter?

I have a twitter account but I never use it... I just don't have time to update another platform.

Which other female bloggers can you recommend? Why?

I recommend these blogs because I admire these women profoundly. They are true artists and their work inspires me more than words can describe:

-Margaret Oomen of Resurrection Fern:
http://resurrectionfern.typepad.com

-Paula Valentim of Otchipotchi:
http://otchipotchi.blogspot.com/

-Arounna Khounnoraj of Bookhou:
http://www.bookhouathome.blogspot.com/

-Tiel Seivl-Keevers of Tsk Tsk
http://tsktsk.typepad.com/

Graça Paz of Aqui Pelo Campo:
http://aquipelocampo.blogspot.com/

Kaija Rantakari of Paperiaarre:
http://paperiaarre.blogspot.com/

and many, many more...

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, what a wonderful and (awe) inspiring blog! Many thanks for this recommendation (and the nice interview)!
    I love "Girls Can Blog" and I hope it will keep growing! Your blog definitely is one of may daily favorites to visit! Just to let you know (as I'm usually more of a lurker...) <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi E*phi, many thanks for your nice comment! Really glad you enjoy reading GCB! Yay! :)

    ReplyDelete