Aug 20, 2010

Anastasia of The Palpable Obscure

Who would have thought that a blog called The Palpable Obscure that was inspired by darkness, as its creator Anasasia put it, would concern itself mostly with fashion and style? 

Follow the jump below to find out why blogging is like looking in a mirror sometimes, why she finds Twitter "bizarre", and which only other blog Anastasia has been reading.




What's your name, how old are you, and what do you do for a living (or all day, for that matter)?

Greetings! My name is Anastasia, in 3 days I will be 21 years old. I'm a musician and a student. I'm currently completing my undergrad in Medieval history and Latin.

How long have you been blogging? How did you get around to blogging?

I have been blogging for almost 2 years. I began blogging because I was tired of desperately searching for inspiring images and ideas and decided that I would have to begin creating and perpetuating them myself. I'm a collector.

What's your blog called and why?

It's called "The Palpable Obscure". It's a John Milton quote and it's basically an oxymoron. Something that is discernible with the senses yet hidden, unclear, dark. It rings with antithesis. I believe things are never just good and evil. I'm inspired by feelings that come from darkness but I can't help but see the purity, beauty and necessity of light. Heaven and Hell.

What are you blogging about? Why?

My blog is about style. It's about the poetic quality of images. You know the old saying, "an image is worth as thousand..." It's also about being afraid. About being in love. About being hurt. Being jaded. Being hedonistic. Being depressed. Being free/young/careless. Human feelings and experiences. The way I dress and present myself is very consistent. Except when it's not. I refuse to hold myself accountable to anyone but myself. I'm very impulsive when choosing what to post and what to wear. My first instinct is usually dead-on and I have learned to trust my intuition.

Who's your target audience?

Like-minded people. Minimalist types. I dunno. Anyone really. Me and myself. It's like looking in a mirror sometimes.

Who designed your blog? How much was that? In case you designed your own layout: Where did you learn how to?

I designed my own blog. It's very very simple. I found a program online to make the header. That's about it.

Which software and which host do you use? Can you recommend them?

I don't use any software. Photobucket for hosting images and sometimes an online program called phixr for editing them.

What role play photos, MP3-files or video clips on your blog? If you use them, would you mind showing us one?

Photos are very important. I let my "readers" make the call as to what they mean. I refuse to interpret them for others. It's always pleasing to hear the emotional response. It reminds me that people have feelings. I use words as little as possible... unless I really have something worth sharing. Words are scary.

How many readers do you have? How many would you like to have? Does their number matter to you at all?

Around 300. I don't care how many followers I have, although it can be a nice feeling to see the number increase. It does not matter to me. I really only enjoy hearing people's reactions in the comments. The response is everything. Although silence can be intriguing as well...

Can you learn how to blog? Do you need to know a lot about computers? Do you have any advice for beginners?

I think blogging can be weird. Some people are naturally better with machines/computers. I'm not one of them. It took me a while to figure out that I needed to host on a site optimized for posting pictures so they would show up large. I'm very picky about picture size in blogs. I would say if you've never blogged, start a Tumblr. It's really easy and fun.

Have you made negative experiences with blogging, too? What kind?

I had an extremely negative reader once. I was stunned. I had to stop blogging for a few months. I was a bit naive, I think. I start to feel extremely uncomfortable when my blog gets more popular, really. It comes and goes in waves.

And have you ever made money through your blog? If yes, how so?

No. Not directly. Although it has been good for making new friends.

Do you use twitter, too? Why (not)? What pros and cons do you see when it comes to twitter?

I think the idea of twitter is bizarre. It's not for me. I don't like to share that much.

Which other female bloggers can you recommend? Why?

The first blog I ever followed was Karoline's [Swedish] "Fashion Flash" (http://www.radarzine.com/blogg/fashion-flash) 3 years ago. She's very consistent but I like it when her choices surprise me. I still read it every day. Otherwise, I don't follow anyone all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment