Feb 5, 2011

Barbara Russ of Im Nahtschatten


Today, I would like to introduce to you Barbara, a friend of mine, who runs Im Nahtschatten [Sink-Stitch] - a fashion blog quite different from the rest!

Follow the jump below for an interesting and extensive interview on Barbara's professional experience as a fashion blogger, her thoughts on paid content, and how an image of Walt Disney's Little Mermaid would bestow upon her blog more readers in a day than any ordinary month...




What's your name, how old are you, and what do you do for a living (or all day, for that matter)?

My name is Barbara Russ, I am 26 years old and a student at Freie Universität Berlin. Most days I am busy with uni work and blogging. Fortunately, I enjoy my major and also feeding my blog with new posts. My remaining time is divided up equally between books on fashion theory, movies, my boyfriend and flat mates. Every now and then, there are also parties, fashion weeks, exhibitions and so forth.

How long have you been blogging? How did you get around to blogging?

I've been blogging since April 2009, so not very long. I started right after I moved to Berlin. First I was writing for Fashionfreax about fashion and lifestyle, then I started taking on other jobs: Writing on culture and happenings for Globe-m.de and also for Modabot. I still work for the latter two, Fashionfreax has been on the rocks for a while, as there just isn't enough time.

What's your blog called and why?

My blog is called „Im Nahtschatten“ ['Sink-Stitch' or literally 'The Shadow of the Seam']. There are two reasons I called it that: Firstly, when I was still a student at German design school Esmod, we were always joking about how fashion designers were living in 'the shadow of the seam', because we had hardly any free time and were constantly sewing. Secondly, the name transports my critical view on fashion, its industry, the business, its practices and relevant topics.

What are you blogging about? Why?

I probably just answered the first question above, so here's the Why bit: I blog because I like the idea of introducing to other people a new point of view, one that I am personally interested in and that hasn't really been around yet. I would like my readers to change their attitude towards the fashion industry: Some a perhaps a little less disdainful, others maybe a little less naive.

In the beginning, I was planning on using my blog for high-level bitching, like a German "Go Fug Yourself"  - people used to tell me I was good at that. However, I discovered that that was very difficult to do on the spot, also I'm much better at it when just talking. Overall,  I'm better at factual critique, I guess.

Who's your target audience?

I have no target audience. Everyone who's interested is very welcome to stop by. My ideal target audience, in any case, is one that comments a lot. So far, I've only been getting very little feedback on my blog. It's probably too new still.

Who designed your blog? How much was that? In case you designed your own layout: Where did you learn how to?

I used a Wordpress template. I learned to use Wordpress during my time with the Fashionfreax, just like stuff about optimization for Google, tagging, and some other stuff. Other things, for example how to come up with categories or how to embed buttons and icons in the side bar, I googled or found out through trial and error. My blog's profile picture was put together with Photoshop. I was lucky enough to learn how to do that at design school.

Which software and which host do you use? Can you recommend them?

Like I said, Wordpress. So far I can't compare this to anything else. But I guess your own website and host and so forth is only recommendable to people who REALLY know what they are doing. For beginners, Wordpress or Blogspot should suffice.

What role play photos, MP3-files or video clips on your blog? If you use them, would you mind showing us one?

Photos play a big role. Issue-wise, my blog is dealing a lot with visuals, too. Plus I believe that most readers get tired of too much text. I only read a lot of text when I am dying to know something. Under other circumstances, I don't have enough time for that. So yes, I like using photos and videos to get my point across very much.

How many readers do you have? How many would you like to have? Does their number matter to you at all?

On average around 1500 a month. Frankly speaking, I'd love to have more. Or at least more active ones. I enjoy feedback of any kind. Ultimately, I am writing my blog for myself though, to clear my mind of thoughts I have. I like that. And if other people dedicate their time to me by reading my posts, that's absolutely awesome, no matter how many of them.

There was a funny incident with regard to reader numbers last November, though. On the 16th, an ordinary day, my reader numbers suddenly exploded. I only noticed on the 17th, when I saw that my statistics were different: Instead of 150, 1500 was the new maximum. My first thought was that somebody had linked to me. But when I had triple the usual number of visitors the next day again, I realised that all of them were coming via an article on Arielle, I understood what had happened: Facebook and its comic characters were the reason. My image of Arielle was pretty high up in Google's image search, so people stopped by to get it from my blog.

Can you learn how to blog? Do you need to know a lot about computers? Do you have any advice for beginners?

The question is: Can you learn how to write and do you have something to say? If you can answer both questions with yes, you shouldn't shy away from blogging because of technical issues. They usually are explained rather quickly. Watching You-Tube tutorials or googling specific questions always helps.

Have you made negative experiences with blogging, too? What kind?

It eats up my time! Other than that, no, on the contrary: It opened up a bunch of interesting possibilities and enjoy it a lot. It makes me happy that through blogging I get to watch fashion shows and invitiations to parties. I've met great people, not just fashionistas, and I'm becoming more experienced in journalism.

And have you ever made money through your blog? If yes, how so?

Not through my own blog, but through the other ones. I applied regularly with Globe-m by answering one of their jobs ads and now receive a fee per published article. I like it that I don't only get to write about fashion there, but also about arts and culture. For Modabot, too, I work fee-based. I love working there as the atmosphere's great and their fashion-related topics are hot. At Fashinfreax, there was the odd cooperation, but these were mostly goods or vouchers to distribute among our readers instead of money for us bloggers. As long as topic-wise, the ads match a blog's content, I don't see any problems with ads. But as my own blog is rather critical in nature, I doubt that it's very suitable for ads or other paid content.

Do you use twitter, too? Why (not)? What pros and cons do you see when it comes to twitter?

I installed an automatic feed for my posts, and I have a few followers. I hardly use it, though. Maybe more now that I've got an iPhone. We'll see.

Which other female bloggers can you recommend? Why?

My favorite blog is Threadbared: http://iheartthreadbared.wordpress.com/. It's written by two American academics that occupy themselves with fashion. 

I also like to read Gaga Stigmata: http://gagajournal.blogspot.com/ It's a blog on Lady Gaga and her style.

And Proletkult: http://ervehea.blogspot.com/. Ervehea discusses movies and fashion.



* Und hier das Originalinterview auf Deutsch *
Wie heißt Du, wie alt bist Du, was machst Du beruflich (oder sonst den ganzen Tag)?
Ich heiße Barbara Russ, bin 26 Jahre alt und Studentin an der FU. Mein Tag ist also meist gefüllt mit Uni-Zeugs und Blog-Zeugs. Zum Glück habe ich ein Studienfach, dass mir sehr viel Spaß macht und einen Blog den ich gerne „füttere“. Den Rest meines Tage teile ich dann noch zwischen Modetheoriebüchern, Filmen, meinem Freund und den Mitbewohnern auf. Und ab und zu kommt eine Party, eine Fashionweek, eine Ausstellung oder irgendwas anderes dazu.

Seit wann bloggst Du? Wie bist Du darauf gekommen?
Ich blogge seit April 2009, also noch nicht so lange. Ich habe angefangen direkt nachdem ich nach Berlin gekommen bin. Zuerst habe ich für Fashionfreax über Mode und Lifestyle gebloggt, dann habe ich andere Jobs angenommen, wie z.B. als Kultur- und Szenereporterin für Globe-m.de und zu guter Letzt für Modabot. Für die beiden letzteren bin ich nach wie vor aktiv, Fashionfreax habe ich erstmal auf Eis legen müssen, weil ich es zeitlich nicht mehr geschafft habe.

Wie heißt Dein Blog und warum?
Mein Blog heißt „Im Nahtschatten“. Der Grund dafür ist zum Einen ein Running-gag, den wir an der Esmod hatten, so von wegen „Modedesigner- ein Leben im Schatten der Naht“, weil man kaum Freizeit hatte und ständig am Nähen war. Andererseits lässt der Name sich für mich heute aber auch benutzen um auszudrücken, dass ich einen kritischen Blick auf die Mode, die Modebranche, ihre Praktiken und artverwandte, sozialkritische Themen werfen will.

Worüber bloggst Du? Weshalb?
Eigentlich habe ich das gerade schon beantwortet. Das Warum fehlt vielleicht noch. Ich blogge, weil ich finde, dass ich Anderen dadurch einen anderen Blickwinkel geben kann, den Winkel, der mich selbst interessiert und den man vielleicht nicht unbedingt oft zu hören bekommt. Ich hätte gerne, dass meine Leser danach ein bisschen anders auf die Modewelt schauen, vielleicht ein bisschen weniger verächtlich die Einen und vielleicht ein wenig weniger naiv die Anderen.

Ursprünglich wollte ich auf „Im Nahtschatten“ auf hohem Niveau lästern, man sagte mir ich könne das so gut. So á la „Go Fug Yourself“ auf deutsch, aber ich habe festgestellt, dass ich das nicht auf Kommando und am besten mündlich kann. Ab und zu mischt sich das zwar schon unter, aber sachliche Kritik liegt mir wohl besser.


Wer ist Deine Zielgruppe?
Da habe ich wirklich keine. Alle Leute, die das interessiert, was ich schreibe sind herzlich eingeladen. Meine Wunschzielgruppe sind Leute, die kommentieren! Ich habe bisher sehr wenig Feedback, zumindest auf dem Blog selbst. Dazu ist er aber vielleicht auch noch zu neu.

Wer hat Deinen Blog designt? Was hat das gekostet? Falls Du das Layout selbst erstellt hast: Wo hast Du gelernt, wie das geht?
Ich habe eine Designvorlage von Wordpress benutzt. Mit Wordpress umzugehen, und auch ein biscchen etwas über Google-optimierung, Verschlagwortung, etc., habe ich bei Fashionfreax gelernt. Vieles beim Erstellen der Kategorien, beim Einbetten von Buttons in den Seitenleisten und so weiter habe ich gegoogelt und/oder durch learning by doing herausgefunden.

Mein bisheriges Nahtschatten-Profilbild habe ich am Photoshop zusammengebastelt. Den Umgang damit wiederum habe ich während meines Modedesignstudiums lernen dürfen.


Welche Software und welchen Host benutzt Du? Kannst Du die weiterempfehlen?
Wie gesagt, Wordpress. Bisher habe ich kaum andere Erfahrungen. Eigenes Design und Programm empfehle ich nur, wenn man sich WIRKLICH auskennt, für Anfänger_innen ist Wordpress und wahrscheinlich Blogspot schon ganz gut.

Welche Rolle spielen Fotos, MP3-Dateien und Videoclips auf Deinem Blog? Kannst Du uns ein Bild, das Du gepostet hast und gerne magst, zeigen?
Fotos spielen eine große Rolle. Rein thematisch geht es ja um meist irgendetwas Visuelles auf meinem Blog. Außerdem glaube ich, dass die meisten Leser irgendwann von zu viel Text müde werden. Viel Text lese ich z.B. nur, wenn es mich wirklich brennend interessiert. Sonst habe ich dafür keine Zeit. Deshalb ja, ich benutze Fotos und Videos sehr gerne um meine Punkte zu unterstreichen und Text zu trennen.

Wieviele Leser hast Du? Wieviele hättest Du gerne? Ist das überhaupt wichtig für Dich?
Durschnittlich etwa 1500 pro Monat. Um ehrlich zu sein hätte ich schon gerne mehr, oder aktivere Leser, die kommentieren. Feedback egal welcher Art tut schon gut. Letztendlich schreibe ich den Blog aber für mich und damit ich das, was ich denke, loswerde. Mir macht das Spaß. Wenn das dann noch Leute gut finden und mir ihre Zeit widmen indem sie das lesen, dann finde ich das super, ganz egal ob Wenige oder Viele.

Besonders witzig war aber ein Vorfall im November. Am 16. November, einen ganz normalen Tag, stiegen meine Userzahlen auf einmal drastisch. Ich habe das erst am 17. gemerkt, weil meine Statistik auf einmal total verschoben war. Plötzlich ging die Skala bis 1500, statt wie sonst bis 150. Ich dachte erst: Wer verlinkt da auf mich? Aber als ich dann am 17. nochmal so viele Aufrufe hatte, sogar dreimal so viele, und alle auf demselben Artikel, dem über Arielle, da zählte ich eins und eins zusammen. Die Comicfiguren-Aktion auf Facebook war der Grund. Meine Arielle war in der Bildersuche sehr weit oben, deshalb holten sich die Facebook-User alle das Bild von meiner Seite.


Kann man bloggen lernen? Muss man viel über Computer wissen? Hast Du ein paar gute Tipps?
Die Frage ist: kann man Schreiben lernen und hat man Etwas zu sagen? Wenn das beides mit ja beantwortet werden kann, sollte es nicht an der Angst vor der Technik scheitern.

Das Technische beim Bloggen ist schnell erklärt, finde ich. Mit You-TubeTutorials und Fragen zu Googeln war ich bisher immer erfolgreich.


Hast Du mit dem Bloggen auch schon negative Erfahrungen gemacht? Welcher Art?
Es frisst meine Zeit! Ansonsten nein, es hat mir viele spannende neue Möglichkeiten eröffnet und ich blogge sehr gerne. Ich freue mich über die Modenschauen die ich sehen darf und die Parties. Ich habe tolle Menschen kennengelernt, nicht nur aus der Mode, und ich sammle Erfahrungen im Journalismus.

Und hast Du mit Deinem Blog auch schon Geld verdient? Wenn ja, wie?
Mit meinem eigenen noch nicht, mit den Anderen ja. Bei Globe-m habe ich mich ganz regulär auf eine Anzeige beworben und bekomme dort pro Artikel ein Honorar, dort kann ich über Kunst udn Kultur schreiben, das genieße ich neben der Mode schon sehr.

Auch bei Modabot, wo ich sehr gerne arbeite, weil die Atmosphäre super ist und die Themen modisch sehr weit vorne, werde ich auf Honorarbasis bezahlt.

Bei Fashionfreax gab es gelegentlich mal eine Kooperation, meist waren das aber eher Sachgüter oder Gutscheine zum Verlosen für unsere Leser anstatt Geld für uns Blogger.

Ich habe aber auch kein Problem damit, wenn es thematisch passt. Ich glaube allerdings nicht, dass sich mein sehr kritischer Blog gut für Werbung oder paid content eignet.


Benutzt Du auch twitter? Warum (nicht)? Worin siehst Du die Vor- und Nachteile von twitter?
Ich habe einen automatischen Feed eingerichtet für meine Nahtschatten-Posts, und habe auch ein paar Follower.

Ich selbst benutze es aber kaum. Vielleicht jetzt mehr, wo ich endlich ein iPhone habe, mal sehen.


Welche(n) anderen frauengeführten Blogs kannst Du empfehlen? Warum?
Mein Lieblingsblog ist Threadbared: http://iheartthreadbared.wordpress.com/. Den schreiben zwei amerikanische Akademikerinnen, die sich mit Mode beschäftigen.

Gaga Stigmata lese ich auch sehr gerne: http://gagajournal.blogspot.com/. Darin geht es um Lady Gaga, und sehr oft um ihre Mode.

Und Proletkult: http://ervehea.blogspot.com/. Ervehea beschäftigt sich mit Filmen und Mode.

No comments:

Post a Comment